Crossmodal Compensation and Cortical Plasticity (C3P)
Head : Pascal BARONE
The main expertise of our team is the analysis of the correlations between cortical structures and cortical functions. Structures are studied through cellular and anatomical methods, including X-ray micro-tomography. Functions of cortical areas are examined by studying the sensory processes of vision and audition, as well as their interactions, in normal and pathological conditions, both in human and animal models. These functions are further studied along 3 different axes : development, plasticity and dysfunctions (pathologies and handicaps). The originality of the team rests on the wide spectrum of experimental approaches routinely used, which ranges from synaptic mechanisms to cerebral metabolism, and from cortical modules and networks to behavior. Such a multiple scale approach is necessary to comprehend the complexity of cortical dynamics and their reactivity and adaptability to intrinsic perturbations (dysfunctions) or external perturbations (quality and variability of incoming sensory signals). Complementary to this multi-scale approach, we use a longitudinal approach where one particular question can be examined from in vitro models up to brain imaging in normal human subjects and in patients. Consequently, we are able to study, in both normal and pathological situations, the structural organization (vascularization and connectivity) of visual cortical areas and the dynamics of the properties of their neurons, together with their impacts on perceptual phenomena, up to their influences on speech perception recovery in the case of auditory system dysfunctions.
Research themes :
- Cortical structure and function : cellular approach to neuronal mechanisms (Caroline FONTA, Pascal BARONE, Pascal GIRARD, Muriel MESCAM, Lionel G NOWAK, Céline CAPPE)
- Corticocortical interactions and network activation plasticity (Céline CAPPE, Pascal GIRARD, Pascal BARONE)
- Dynamic and plasticity of sensory perception (Pascal BARONE, Céline CAPPE, Olivier DEGUINE, Pascal GIRARD, Lionel G NOWAK)
- Cortical plasticity and dysfunction (Olivier DEGUINE, Pascal BARONE, Caroline FONTA, Muriel MESCAM)
- Advanced technological and methodological projects (Pascal BARONE, Olivier DEGUINE, Pascal GIRARD)
Permanent research staff :
Post-Doctoral fellows :
PhD students :
- Edward COLLETT
- Jimmy DEBLADIS
- Chadlia KAROUI
- Cécile JUAN
- Julien ROLLAND
- Amirouche SADOUN
- Nicolas VANNSON
Some selected publications :
- Girard P, Jouffrais C, Kirchner H (2008) Ultra-rapid categorisation in non-human primates. Animal Cognition 11(3) : 485-493.
- Wang Y, Celebrini S, Trotter Y, Barone P (2008) Visuo-auditory interactions in the primary visual cortex of the behaving monkey. Electrophysiological evidence. BMC Neuroscience 9:79.
- Nowak LG, Barone P (2009) Contrast adaptation contributes to contrast-invariance of orientation tuning of primate V1 cells. PLoS one 4 : e4781.
- Guibert R, Fonta C, Plouraboué F (2010) Cerebral blood flow modelling in primate cortex. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism
- Negyessy, L., J. Xiao, O. Kantor, G. G. Kovacs, M. Palkovits, T. P. Doczi, L. Renaud, G. Baksa, T. Glasz, M. Ashaber, P. Barone and C. Fonta (2011) Layer-specific activity of Tissue Non-specific Alkaline Phosphatase in the human neocortex. Neuroscience 172 406-418
- Massida, Z., P. Belin, J. James, J. Rouger, B. Fraysse, P. Barone and O. Deguine (2011) Voice discrimination in cochlear-implanted deaf subjects. Hearing Res 275 (1-2) 120-129
- Girard, P. and R. Koenig-Robert (2011) Ultra-Rapid Categorization of Fourier-Spectrum Equalized Natural Images : Macaques and Humans Perform Similarly. PLoS ONE 6 (2) e16453
- Thelen, A., C. Cappe and M. M. Murray (2012) Electrical neuroimaging of memory discrimination based on single-trial multisensory learning. Neuroimage 62 (3) 1478-1488
- Strelnikov K. and Barone P. (2012) Stable modality-specific activity flows as reflected by the neuroenergetic approach to the fMRI weighted maps. PLoS One 7 (3) e33462
- Hanics J, Barna L, Xiao JS, Millan JL, Fonta C*, Négyessy L* (2012). Ablation of TNAP gene compromises myelination and synaptogenesis in the brain. Cell and Tissue Research 349(2):459-471(* equal contribution).
- Guibert, R., C. Fonta, L. Risser and F. Plouraboué (2012) Coupling and robustness of intra-cortical vascular territories. NeuroImage 62 (1) 408-417
- Cappe, C., A. Thelen, V. Romei, G. Thut and M. M. Murray (2012) Looming Signals Reveal Synergistic Principles of Multisensory Integration. J Neurosci 32 (4) 1171-1182
- Beard, D. A. and M. Mescam (2012) Mechanisms of pressure-diuresis and pressure-natriuresis in Dahl salt-resistant and Dahl salt-sensitive rats. BMC Physiol 12 (1) 6
- Marx, M., P. Girard, B. Escude, P. Barone, B. Fraysse and O. Deguine (2013) Cochlear implantation feasibility in rhesus macaque monkey : anatomical and radiological results. Otol Neurotol 34 (7) e76-e81
- Guibert R, Fonta C, Estève F, Plouraboué F (2013). On the normalization of cerebral blood flow. Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism 33:669-672.
- Strelnikov, K., J. Rouger, JF. Demonet, S. Lagleyre, B. Fraysse, O. Deguine, and P. Barone (in press) Visual activity predicts auditory recovery from deafness after cochlear implantation in adult. Brain 0 0
- Markov N.T, J. Vezoli, P. Chameau, A. Falchier, R. Quilodran, C. Huissoud, C. Lamy, P. Misery, P. Giroud, S. Ullman, P. Barone, C. Dehay, K. Knoblauch and H. Kennedy (in press) The anatomy of hierarchy : Feedforward and feedback pathways in macaque visual cortex. J Comp Neurol 0 0
Mise à jour 30/01/2017