Perceptual and Attentional Fluctuations (PAF)
Head : Rufin VANRULLEN
Our team focuses on the dynamic (fluctuating) nature of sensory perception, attention and higher cognitive functions. How do these functions unfold from moment to moment ? How is a percept, or a thought, constructed upon its immediate perceptual history ? Do perceptual and attentional fluctuations also take place on an even faster timescale, entrained by cortical oscillations ? At the other end of the spectrum, what can we learn from fluctuations caused by individual differences in sensory and cognitive functions ? These questions are addressed using a unique multi-scale approach, from in-vivo intracellular recordings and optical imaging to human EEG and fMRI.
Key words :
electrophysiology, integrative neuroscience, multistability, synesthesia, oscillations, perceptual cycles, meditation, mind-wandering
Permanent research staff :
Research support :
Post-Doctoral fellows :
Doctoral students :
- Tracy BRANDMEYER
- Sasskia BRUERS
- Marie GLEIZES (50%)
- Lu SHEN
- Simon PERRIER (50%)
- Fanny ROUMIER
Representative publications :
- Brandmeyer T., Delorme A. (2016) Reduced mind wandering in experienced meditators and associated EEG correlates. Exp Brain Res. Nov 4.
- Grandchamp, R., Delorme, A. (2016) The Brainarium : An Interactive Immersive Tool for Brain Education, Art, and Neurotherapy, Journal of Computational Inteligence, dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/4204385
- VanRullen, R. (2016). Perceptual cycles. Trends Cogn Sci, 20(10), 723-735
- McLelland, D. & VanRullen, R. (2016). Theta-gamma coding meets communication-through-coherence : neuronal oscillatory multiplexing theories reconciled. PLOS Comput Biol, 12(10)
- Dugué, L., McLelland, D., Lajous, M. & VanRullen, R. (2015). Attention searches nonuniformly in space and in time. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 112(49), 15214-15219
- Hupé, J.M. & Dojat, M. (2015). A critical review of the neuroimaging literature on synesthesia. Front. Hum. Neurosci 9, 103. doi : 10.3389/fnhum.2015.00103.
- Hupé, J.M. (2015). Statistical inferences under the Null hypothesis : common mistakes and pitfalls in neuroimaging studies. Front Neurosci 9, 18. doi : 10.3389/fnins.2015
- Nowak, L. G., Rosay, B., Czégé, D. and Fonta, C. (2015) Tetramisole and levamisole suppress neuronal activity independently from their inhibitory action on tissue non-specific alkaline phosphatase in mouse cortex. In : Subcellular Biochemistry 76 : “Neuronal Tissue-Nonspecific Alkaline Phosphatase (TNAP)”, Caroline Fonta & László Négyessy (eds), Springer, pp. 239-281.
- Castagnola, V., Descamps, E., Lecestre, A., Dahan, L., Remaud, J., Nowak, L. G. and Bergaud, C. (2015) Parylene-based flexible neural probes with PEDOT coated surface for brain stimulation and recording. Biosensors and Bioelectronics 67, 450-457.
- Huguet, G., Rinzel, J. & Hupé J.M. (2014). Noise and adaptation in multistable perception : Noise drives when to switch, adaptation determines percept choice. Journal of Vision 14 : 19, 11-24.
- Durand, J. B., Girard, P., Barone, P., Bullier, J. and Nowak, L. G. (2012) Effects of contrast and contrast adaptation on static receptive field features in macaque area V1. Journal of Neurophysiology 108, 2033-2050
Mise à jour 24/01/2017